Thursday, September 27, 2007

Birth Story

So, I thought I would share Emily's Birth Story with all of you! Here is how it all went down:





My last Dr. Appt (who knew) was on Friday, September 14, 2007 at 11:30 am. We went in (I was 39 weeks 3 days pregnant) and my Dr. asked if I wanted him to stir things up down there to get the show on the road?! So, of course I say yes, because I have this fear that I have willed her to stay in for so long that she will now be hopelessly late =). Well, in essence he stripped my membranes and told me again the signs to watch for and gave me my hug and said, "See you soon". Which he had never said to me before, usually it was a see you next week. So, as he was leaving he gave us strict instructions again that we needed to have sex and go for lots of walking and that would help speed the process up! It is kind of funny to be told by your Dr. to have sex, by the way!!! So, left the Dr. office, went to lunch in Marshall and I went back to work for the rest of the day. Saturday, September 15, came and Matt had that day off also and we decided to go to Michigan City, IN to the outlets for some "walking" (ok really shopping therapy). We got there about 2 pm and spent about 2 1/2 hours walking around there and then we decided to go to Mishawaka, IN on the way back. It was getting late, so we decided to stop at Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner and I had the Buffalo Chicken Wrap (spicy food is supposed to bring on labor also) and we finished watching the Notre Dame/Michigan game in South Bend!!!! On the way home, decided we should have my mom stop at the house and let the dog out for us! And this is very ironic, she asked where we were and I told her in Mishawaka, but I had had the thought to tell her we were at the hospital (but decided against it) =). So, we got home about 8:30 pm and I sat down in the Lazy Boy and was telling Matt that I was afraid she was going to come late! Then at 9:45 pm, wham, started having contractions 2 min. apart!!!! It was awful, I just laid on the bed in pain and finally after about 30 min. of this Matt called the Dr. on call and asked if we should go to the hospital (it is 30 min. away) or not and she told us to go on in. So, off we go!!! We got to the hospital in 22 minutes and head into the ER. We got sent directly to L&D, and on the way managed to take the wrong elevator (Oaklawn hospital is undergoing major construction) and ended up at ICU. Then we almost got on the wrong elevator again, luckily a nurse stopped us and we finally ended up on the right elevator to L&D! We got in, the nurse (Lorenda) checked me and I was 4-5 cm (Friday I was still 2.5 cm) and she said we were staying at the hospital. She asked if I wanted an epi, well duh who doesn't, and she said she could get that ordered as soon as my labs came back. Dr. Ron, the anestesiologist, came in about midnight to insert epi, what a great man he is!!! And all my pain went away! At that point I was 6-7 cm (closer to 7cm) and my nurse thought I would have the baby by the end of her shift. Well, that is where I stalled for the rest of the night! Which was ok by me, I couldn't feel a thing and I was able to sleep some!!! At 5 am, the nurse came back in and started me on Pitocin, per Dr. Walker's orders, since I hadn't progressed any and she said he would be in to break my water sometime in the morning. Well, she estimated he would be in at 7 am, he didn't show up until 9:15 am!!! Well, by that time, my epi medicine was almost out and I was feeling contractions again, so when he went to break my water, he checked me and said, "Oh, you are fully dilated and ready to have the baby". So, no more medicine for me....I couldn't push effectively enough with the epi in. So, they started getting the room for the delivery! And my nurse, Nurse Heather now, is telling me that I can start pushing whenever I feel a contraction as she is getting the room ready. Ummm..hello, do I look like I want to push with no one in the room???!!!! No, so she checked on my quite frequently. I started honestly pushing at 10:30 am and all I remember is the pain and saying, "I Can't Do this" and the nurse telling me I can and I am doing it. I don't remember be too vocal, but Matt says I was a little loud. I do remember the nurse running around saying, Where is Dr. Walker, I need him here! Yeah, that is comforting I am having my baby and my Dr. is walking the halls or something =). I also remember them telling me that I was going to have this baby in the next contraction or two and I made Dr. Walker promise me I would, he said I would! He also continued to tell me that I could do this. Somehow your body takes over and you manage to overcome the pain and soon enough she was born into the world! Emily arrived at 11:15 am, weighing 7 lbs. 3 oz and was 18 in. long! The funny thing is I remember Dr. Walker telling me NOT TO PUSH, what a funny thing to say to a laboring woman!!! Tell me how do you not push?, when your body has just gone into a state all unto itself! He also asked if I wanted to pull her out and I remember saying, "No, just get her out". Nice Mom huh?!

No comments: