Today, we went to Arlington National Cemetery and watched the change of guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was a somber experience and when it started, the Sargent asked us to all stand and be silent while the change happened. Of course, that isn't what happened! We had a lot of "Mama!!!!Mamamamama!!!!" and then we had some crying.
How embarrassing! When we arrived at the Cemetery, Rebecca and I decided to do the bus tour (it was only 7.50, and we decided since we didn't know how much walking there was to do it.) As we were waiting in line, Aunt Becca looked at Emily and said, " Yes, we are going to go and learn about Dead President's!" I laughed so hard at that one. We totally skipped JFK's grave and the Arlington House, but that was ok, I saw what I wanted to see.
From Arlington National Cemetery, we walkedRebecca picked up a piece of paper that stated it was only a 15 minute walk to the Iwo Jima monument and I was struck by how LARGE it was!!! I was expecting something very small and this monument was huge! Emily fell asleep on the walk to the Iwo Jima monument (and stayed asleep for 2 hours, thank goodness!!! Since she woke up at 6 am and was ready to go for the day). From there we walked to Rosslyn and then into Georgetown where we wandered down the main street and went to a Mall that Rebecca didn't know was there. I was dying and wanted AIR CONDITIONING...it is so incredibly
HUMID and HOT here it isn't even funny! Rebecca completely laughed at me because I was dying! From there we went into downtown DC and visited the American History Museum, since we had to kill a little time before we met with Rebecca's Boyfriend....Had a complete meltdown in the musuem and I was terrified we would have a terrible dinner, but it worked out well. She was an angel during dinner. One thing to say abotu the American Museum, is you definitely need to see the American Flag...The original American Flag is HUGE.
One thing that I find interesting about DC so far, is everything is bigger than I ever expected! The buildings downtown are larger than life, the monuments are bigger than life and the Hot humidness is killing me.
No comments:
Post a Comment