Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Apple Pickin'

So, we went Apple Picking again! Ok, this year it wasn't that great. I had it all planned in my head that it would be this idyllic day that would go smooth and just be a beautiful fun day. Well, it was a beautiful day, except it was 80 degrees and I wasn't prepared for that! I suppose I should start at the beginning of this story...

We decide to go to the Country Mill on Sunday to pick Apples and get a pumpkin at the pumpkin patch. We decide to take Matt's car as it gets better gas mileage than mine (do you see that this has something to do with his car?!). So, off we go into the wild blue yonder and get to the orchard. Well Of course the place is packed! And there is no parking anywhere in the front part, so we start going further back into the field, which is getting bumpier and bumpier, well we go down another "aisle" and we hear THUNK and we have bottomed out in a rut. Well, Matt is instantly PO'ed and I start to get upset. We find a parking space and Matt is saying how we are never taking his car anywhere and if that rut did any damage to his car that it would be expensive to fix and blah blah blah. Well, it of course gets me worried, so I am not really in any mood to do this. Well, we go and Matt looks really quick and sees that the bumper got scratched and there is a chunk of grass under the car. So, of we go into the orchard. Well, first we have to wait in line, in the sun, which is hot...


So, now we are up to the front and paying for our bag to pick our apples and get the instructions of what is open and what isn't and where we can go. We leave and head into the orchard. We go down the first row and realize that the MOSQUITOS are out and are TERRIBLE! We are getting eaten alive out there. I don't bring bug spray because I don't think that they will be bad, my mistake. I finally say, "Matt lets just pick all the apples and get out of here." So the mosquitos and the heat drove us out of the orchard. So there is strike two if we are counting...bottoming out and then the heat and mosquitos.


On to the pumpkin patch. We get there and the weeds are about 3 feet tall and you can't see anything on the ground. I decide that I am not going to let Emily walk in there, so that was strike three...no pumpkin patch. Matt takes her over to the fish pond to look in the water and I get eaten alive waiting for them.

We decide that we will just get three pumpkins out of the already picked bins and so Matt looks for 3 of them. A big one, a medium one and a baby one =) So, we wait in line again. We have 46 lbs of pumpkin that is just waiting to be carved.






So, on we go home and Matt realizes that his steering wheel is off and that something must have come loose. Well, we made it home and he looked under the car and thankfully nothing was ruined other than the scratches on his bumper and some pieces of the underbody were knocked loose. So, he fixed the pieces and I told him he wasn't getting his plastic bumper repainted. That is our pumpkin story for this year.

No comments: